- This event has passed.
Spark with Scala – Professional Development Seminar
August 5, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
The course will introduce Apache Spark to participants. This is an introductory course and no previous knowledge of Spark is needed. Detailed course outline is listed below.
About the Course: Apache Spark
This course will introduce Apache Spark. The students will learn how to use Spark for data analysis. We will cover the latest Spark version 2.
The course and labs cover:
- Scala Primer (if needed, optional)
- Spark ecosystem
- Installing Spark
- Spark shell for interactive data analysis
- Spark Data models : RDDs / Dataframes / Dataset
- Spark streaming
Labs will cover:
- text data
- clickstream data
- 2016 election contributions
- Spark commit logs
- plus bonus labs for people who get done early
Audience: Developers / Analysts / Architects / Engineers
Format: Full day in-person Saturday workshop + 2-hour on-line review with Q & A
Workshop (in person) : Lectures + hands-on labs. We do a lot of hands-on exercises to reinforce the concepts.
8am Registration, Coffee & Snack
8:30am Class starts
12:30pm Lunch (included)
4pm Class ends
Review Session (online) : Q&A format
- Developer background
- Familiarity with either Java / Scala / Python language (labs will be in Scala – a quick Scala primer will be taught to bring students up to speed)
- Basic understanding of Linux development environment (command line navigation/ editing files using VI/emacs/other text editor)
Sujee Maniyam is a seasoned Big Data practitioner. He teaches and consults in Big Data technologies (Hadoop, Spark, NoSQL and Cloud). He is an open source contributor and author of ‘Hadoop Illuminated‘ (an open-source book on Hadoop) and ‘HBase Design Patterns‘. Sujee is a frequent speaker at various conferences and meetups. He also advises and mentors various firms.
Sujee is a co-founder and principal at Elephant Scale that provides expert training in Big Data and Data Science technologies. Elephant Scale instructors have taught hundreds of classes to thousands of students across many organizations.
About the Event
The event involves hands-on learning. Before the event you will download the 4Gb image (we will provide the link) and the Scala IDE from http://scala-ide.org to install on your laptop.
REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR LAPTOP and charger. Also remember to bring your Eventbrite ticket.
Details subject to change.
VENUE SPONSOR: Intel
- “I really prefer to program Spark with Python(/Java). Can I attend this workshop?” A: All instruction and labs will be in (basic) Scala. As long as you’re ok with that, you’re welcome to attend.
REFUND POLICY: the cutoff date for requesting refunds is Aug 1, 2017. Refunds will not be issued after this date.